Become A Member
Learn how your membership helps protect our rivers and rights of use.
Learn More About River Law
Frequently Asked Questions »
FAQs about federal law regarding public ownership, use, and conservation of rivers
Why River Rights? »
NOR is the organization that focuses on achieving public-trust ownership of rivers, conserving rivers through public-trust ownership, and ensuring the public's legal rights to enjoy rivers
Become A Member or Donate To NOR
Your Membership In NOR
Helps to fund the process of restoring public rights to raft, kayak, canoe, portage, fish, and walk along the banks of thousands of miles of rivers where these rights are currently being wrongfully denied by state and local government and law enforcement officials.
NOR Annual Membership Options
- The complete illustrated book Public Rights on Rivers, as an e-book, compatible with any computer system.
- The monthly e-magazine Currents, with illustrated articles about how people are resolving river access controversies nationwide.
- Access to the NOR Member Area of national rivers.org, which documents and illustrates public rights on rivers and current river controversies, and provides state, national, and world news updates.
- NOR bumper sticker, "Defending Public Rights on Rivers."
- You are directly helping to restore the public easement on rivers in your state and across the nation.
Become a BASIC Member
- ALL the benefits of the Basic Membership (e-book, Currents,Member Area, and bumper sticker) Plus:
- Public Rights on Rivers as a printed book.
- NOR will send a packet of public rights documentation on behalf (book, handouts, and posters) to government officials in your state or area - sherifs, district attorneys, fish and game officers, department of natural resources, and others. (NOR sends the packets to officials who have not yet been contacted.)
- The NOR t-shirt, "Rivers that are navigable in fact are navigable in law" (Select size below)
- You are helping even more to restore public rights on rivers in your state and across the nation.
Become an ACTIVIST Member
- ALL the benefits of Activist membership (e-book, printed book, Currents, Member Area, bumper sticker, and T-Shirt). Plus:
- NOR will send packets of public rights information on your behalf to two additional government offices in your state or area, thereby spreading the word about public rights on rivers to more people in government, more thoroughly. The need for more awareness about public rights on rivers is great, and the resources are small.
- Consequently, your SPONSOR membership is something important that you can do now to help restore public rights on many miles of rivers, across the nation, where those rights are presently being wrongfully denied.
Become a SPONSOR Member
New! Send an Information Packet to a Government Agency $25.00
Get your river rights applied! NOR now offers the option to send an information packet on your behalf with the following:
Send this info packet to the government agency of your choice! Or you can send the packet to whomever you would like; a landowner, friend, or yourself! Simply insert the name and address in the area below, and click "send info packet." You will be notified by email when the packet has been mailed. Make a difference for yourself and your community, send an information packet today!
Price includes shipping and handling.
Donate to help build a powerful movement for river rights
With your help, NOR can take your donations and send more river law materials to government agencies, as well as hire more representatives to channel the message of public rights to use rivers into real and tangible progress. We have BIG plans for 2014, and you can help be a catalyst for change! If you can chip in to support this work, we’ll put your donation to good use. We make every dollar count towards defending public rights on rivers. Many thanks in advance!
NOR is a non-profit organization, founded in 1979. Still want to help more? Check out the Help NOR Grow page!
Want to Include NOR in your estate planning?
By including the National Organization for Rivers in your estate planning, you can have a permanent affect on public enjoyment of natural rivers, for generations to come. You can discuss the options with your estate planning attorney or accountant. To discuss this with NOR staff, please send an email through the Contact tab, or call 719-579-8759.